On the 14th of March 2020. the 9th.
INTERNATIONAL HOMEBREWERS’COMPETITION – HUNGARY will be organized by the FIRST HUNGARIAN
The goal of the Competition is to promote homebrewing beer and provide the opportunity for the homebrewers to meet in person.
The organizers will cover all arising costs of the competition from entry fees and donations, so we kindly appreciate any financial, physical and intellectual assistance. The main organizer of the competition is the FIRST HUNGARIAN HOMEBREWING ASSOCIATION – with the co-operation of other co-organizers – hereafter organizers.
- You may enter on competition.elsosor.hu only
- You are only allowed to enter with beers that were brewed with homebrewing equipment and that are not commercially available.
- In 2020, entry will be open to all categories in BJCP2015. You will still have to specify the exact category in your application, thus the judges will be able to provide the scoring regarding the appropriate category.
- Each contestant is only allowed to enter one beer per category. This is also valid for those who brew in groups!
- The judgment of the beers will be at the proper consuming temperature matching their categories and in line with the BJCP2015 (Beer Judge Certification Program), so according to the international standard. The Hungarian translation of the BJCP2015 available on our website. (www.elsosor.hu).
- By March 6, 2020, the organizers will announce the main
categories based on entries.
- Unfortunately we won’t be able to judge any beer that don’t fit into their category, regardless of how good they are.
- Don’t forget to provide the subcategory as well when entering. That’s important because the individual subcategories differ significantly, thus providing the appropriate category can affect the judging. If you do not provide the subcategory, we will not be able to judge the entered beer. In case of absence any of this information will mean disqualification from the Competition, because we are not able to take responsibility for categorizing the beers correctly by the judges.
- By now we can call the “Gipsy” category traditional. It’s a (by the time of the competition) commercially available beer of a former (or current) homebrewer who doesn’t own a brewery therefore brewed it in a legally operated brewery as a guest. For this group we don’t define a category, the contestant has to provide it. The entered beers will be judged regarding their category and the beer with the highest score will be the winner. If your beer does not fit in the basic BJCP2015 categories, please classify it in one of the special categories, with providing the appropriate basic categories and the specialties.
- Categorizing the beers is the contestant’s duty and responsibility. You can only expect supporting help at most from our association in categorizing. Even if you are not skilled in the given category, you still have lots of time until the competition to develop the winning recipe.
- You should provide the organizers with each of the entered beers in either three 0.5l bottles or five 0.33l bottles between 1st of March and 10th of March. Entry drop off destinations will be given during registration
- Submitted beers can only be marked with a label attached to the bottle with a rubber band which are printed from the program on competition.elsosor.hu. We will only accept beers with these labels. Please put the labels on the neck of the bottle, if possible, as it is more safely remains attached to the bottle, and the unlikely will be removed by the box.
- We will have to disqualify those beers that will
have the label glued, won’t have the label attached with a rubber band with the
above mentioned form or will have ambiguous information on the label!
Besides the cap and the bottle there should be no other distinguishing mark. If this criteria is not satisfied, we can’t let the beer participate in the competition.
- If there won’t be at least 5 entries in a category, we have the right to revoke it.
The beer that gets the most points in a category will be the gold medalist, the second will be the silver medalist and the third will be the bronze medalist.
Note: if there are too many beers entered in a category, then we will separate them into multiple judging rounds (flights). The best performers of the individual rounds will challenge each other again in a final round (mini BOS). This round’s first ranked will be the gold medalist, the second will be the silver medalist and the third will be the bronze medalist. So it is possible that the beer that gets the most points won’t win first prize.
The best beer of the competition – the grand champion – will be the beer that gets the most points in the final round among the category winners. The grand champion will have the right to wear the title “Best homebrewer of the year in Hungary” for a year. The brewer of the country’s best beer will receive a perpetual trophy onto which we will engrave the winner’s name and the current year. By this the winner will get the title “Best homebrewer of Hungary 2018”. If he/she will brew the beer commercially, then the winner has the right to print the logo on the beer label. This right is also granted to those who finish at the second and third place. The terms for using the logo will be defined in a separate contract.
- As entry fee we can accept donations. Based on the organizers’ preliminary calculation the entry fee will be 1600 HUF (5EUR) per entered beer, which roughly covers our expenses. Members of our association will get an 50% discount for their entries. Entry fee for guerilla category is 8000 HUF (25EUR) per beer
The competition will be held in Budapest, at Fehér Nyúl Brewery (H1095 Budapest, Soroksári út 110-112.). You can send your questions regarding to the competition to the email@example.com email address.